Stagnant water at the base of the dishwasher and dishwater not draining are the two most common problems. Before you decide to dishwasher repair, unplug the dishwasher and remove the fuse. Then test the following parts to see why the dishwasher won't drain.
- Check if there is an accumulation of food particles or slime in the drain basket. You can clean it by using a coat hanger. Straighten it and poke it through the mesh to unclog the drain. If it does not work, unscrew the drain basket so that you can access the sump and clean it.
- The front lower panel that is usually held by screws or clips should be opened first. If the drain hose is twisted or curved, straighten it. Take out the hose and move debris.
- Turn on the garbage disposal, if it is connected to the drain hose, to see if it is working. If it is not working, clean the garbage disposal in let. You can use a flat screwdriver to clean the in let. Remember to remove the plastic cap before cleaning the garbage disposal. If unable to remove the plastic cap, use a screwdriver to knock out the cap. This is important step of dishwasher troubleshooting.
- Broken glasses and plastic pieces from dishes can sometimes cause obstruction. The pump comprises of upper and lower. The upper impeller forces water into the dishwasher while the lower impeller drains it out. To clean the upper impeller, lift it and clean if there is any slime on the lower impeller. Clean the accrued debris by blowing into the air gap.
- You can check for float assembly that is usually at the base of the Remove the cap of the float, lift and drop it to see if it is moving freely. Clean the debris that is usually found under the float. This can prevent the float from dropping down, thus blocking the drain. Check the float switch found under the float assembly by accessing from bottom front panel. If you want to change the switch, change the screws or release the clip.
- Check if the motor and the timer are working properly. One can access the motor from the bottom front panel side. If the motor does not work, then you will have to change it.
If you are still not able to drain water from the dishwasher, contact a dishwasher repair technician.